|Communist Party of Luthori|
Fort William, Luthori
Holy Luthorian Empire
Students for Communism
The Young Communists
Communism, metzism, progressivism, internationalism, green politics
Duchies Diets Seats
The Communist Party of Luthori is a political party in Luthori created from a merger of the Free Socialist Labour Party and the former Communist Party of Luthori. It has been the largest party in Luthori many years since its creation in 4560. Its main goal was the establishment of a People's Republic in Luthori and the abolition of the Empire.
- In 4572, the party changes its name from "Communist Party of Luthori" to "Movement for a Worker's Republic".
- In 4583, the change is reverted following the departure of the libertarian faction.
Leadership of Pierre Morrison Edit
- In 4591, the party makes the lowest score of its history, while the new Social Democrat Party enters the parliament with 14.6 % of the votes.
- The party leader, Pierre Morrison, claims that he will try to give a new look to his great party.
- Despite making its lowest score, the party enters in a government with White Rose, supported by the SDP.
- The coalition loses the support of the SDP after a disagrement over the education budget. The SDP calls for an early election.
- Following the early election and the historical defeat of the CPL, Pierre Morrison decides to step out as a leader of the party, although he will stay president of Luthori till the end of his term. "It is now time for me to give the party to someone else. Our great popular movement needs a new departure."
- Jack Lilliath is elected as the new leader of the party.
Leadership of Jack Lilliath Edit
- In 4596, despite making large gains, the party stays in opposition
- In 4599, the party loses some seats, mainly due to the entrance of new parties in parliament. It then decides to form a coalition with the SDP and White Rose. It is the Democratic Coalition.
- In 4604, the party declares being "betrayed" by the SDP which called an early election. It decides then to stay in the opposition.
- At the Luthori Parliamentary Election 4608, the party makes its better score since 4585. This is probably due to the unpopular increase of the retirement age from 63 to 65 years old and to the dissolution of the former NRIR and SDP to form the NDA.
- The party decides then to form a new government with the NDA.
- The government proves itself to be very effective but is also unpopular. This is why the CPL loses the election of 4611 and is relegated in the opposition.
- In 4613, the party manages to reach almost 30% of the votes, although it ends up second.
- The party participates in the 4614 Anti-liberalisation bill protests and is accused by the parties of the Urquhart Cabinet I of controlling the trade unions. Jack Lilliath denies any form of control.
- At the 4617 election, the party regains the first place and enters in the Franklin II Cabinet.
- In 4620 the party is banned for "domestic terrorism" and for their involvement in the 4614 Anti-liberalisation bill protests.
- A few months after, the party ban is repealed by the Constitutional Court of Luthori.
- At 76 years old, Jack Lilliath decides to retire from politics. Its daughter will be the candidate for the presidential election, while the party leader is to be elected.
- Harry Franklin wins the 4621 party leadership election and therefore is the new leader of the CPL.
Decline and Franklin III and IV cabinets Edit
- In 4623, unable to form a government, the CPL calls for an early election.
- Despite engaging in negotiations, the CPL is unable to enter in a governing majority with the other parties.
- Harry Franklin is re-elected leader of the party in 4626.
- In 4628, the party stays the first party, despite losing seats. It is then part of the opposition to the Daeva Cabinet II.
- In 4631, Harry Franklin is re-elected by a close margin leader of the CPL.
- Despite declining results, both in the parliamentary and in the presidential elections, the CPL forms the Franklin III and Franklin IV cabinets successively. Those cabinets focused on "restoring human rights in Luthori" after years of far-right rule in the Empire.
- The Franklin IV Cabinet falls after the SDP and WR decide to call for an early election, estimating that the seats in the Diet left vacant after the dissolution of the Center Alliance have to be filled to ensure full representation. The CPL takes this decision as a betrayal from the SDP and WR and decides not to pursue the coalition after the election.
New leadership and rebound Edit
- In 4636, Caroline Baker surprisingly wins the CPL leadership election and thus becomes the first woman to be elected at this position.
- In 4641, after a political crisis that lasted for a few years and the collapse of the Kingston Cabinet I, the CPL finally finds an agreement and Philip Hopkins becomes Prime Minister in a government composed of the same parties: the Hopkins I Cabinet.
- At the 4641 CPL leadership election, Caroline Baker is re-elected as the president of the CPL.
Hopkins I Cabinet Edit
After the election, the CPL enters in the Hopkins I Cabinet with the SDP, WR and LDP. The cabinet increased social spending and decreased military spending. Prostitution was legalised and many progressive reforms were made.
4644 Election Edit
The 4644 general election is a big deception and a historical defeat for the CPL, which only gains over 10 % of the votes. It is also the first time a CPL candidate doesn't reach the second round of the presidential/imperatorial election.
4645 Election Edit
The CPL gains 11 seats at the early election that follows. The party however sits in the opposition and the Hopkins I Cabinet is now over.
In the opposition Edit
Caroline Baker loses the CPL leadership election in 4646. The party presidency is now held by Ahmed Al-Sissi who promised to "return to the roots of the CPL: equality, tolerance and anti-fascism".
In the 4649 election, the CPL is the biggest winner from the dissolution of the LDP and gains 52 seats.
The CPL is however left in the opposition to the Pope William's Cabinet.
The CPL loses the 4651 election and only receives 6.71 % of the votes, an historical decline. Ahmed Al-Sissi decided not to step down as the leader of the party because "the party needs a strong leader". This decline is explained by the rise of the New Left Alliance.
Jackson-Wright Cabinet Edit
Following the 4653 early election and after a political crisis that lasted for 2 years, the party joins the Jackson-Wright Cabinet. The cabinet was quickly over and just managed to increase corporation tax and provide abortion funding. Following the dissolution of the Patriots Party, the CPL calls for an early election.
In the opposition Edit
Although the party reaches the second position and gains votes, this election is seen as a huge deception for Ahmed Al-Sissi because of the rise of the far-right HLC. The CPL ministers resign and still do not want to enter in a coalition with the HLC.
The HLC manages to pass ultra-conservative religious reform, angering the CPL representatives.
At the next election, the HLC declines heavily but the CPL loses two seats while gaining 0.11 % of the votes.
Following the decision of the CPL not to enter in a coalition with the ICP, the WR and the SDP since they supported part of the HLC reforms, the CPL stays in the opposition to the Stinson II Cabinet.
Hopkins II Cabinet Edit
The CPL manages to form a socially progressive cabinet with White Rose, the ICP, the PP and the WPL known as the Hopkins II Cabinet. The cabinet manages to pass most of its program before falling.
The Hopkins II Cabinet falls after the Justice Party of Luthori votes in favor of an early election motion. Following the election, the CPL wins 4 seats. After the election, however, following a broken promise of the CPL and the JPL to support a common candidate for the Imperator election, the ICP and White Rose leave the cabinet, leaving only the CPL and JPL in the Hopkins II Cabinet.
20 years after the last leadership election, a new contestant, Mary Cooper, tries to become the next CPL leader. She fails to win the election against Ahmed Al-Sissi who receives more than 65 % of the casted votes.
The CPL gains 9 seats and reaches 16.68 % of the votes.
In the opposition (4666-4683) Edit
The party manages to pass the "An Economy for the People" bill that fixes the exchange rate and regulates the economy.
The party makes one of its worst results after the election and gains just over 10 % of the votes, despite the dissolution of the far-left JPL.
The party bounces from its previous bad results and reaches the third place.
The election is called after the dissolution of More Artania. The CPL continues to grow.
The party stagnates after the election and the dissolution of the HLC
This time ,after the dissolution of the UCP, the party gains 19.90 percent of the votes. However, an early election will be called within the following two years and the dissolution of the Patriots Party.
The CPL wins the election and becomes the first party with 25.72 % of the votes. The CPL Imperator candidate, Philip Hopkins, wins the election with 57 % of the votes. It is the first time since many years that a CPL-candidate wins the election of the Imperator.
Election of Anthony Maker as the new CPL-Leader
After the violent dissolution of the ICP and the new election, the CPL stays stable but cabinet negotiations are looking difficult because of the rise of the far-right.
Maker I and II Cabinets (4683-4692) Edit
The CPL nonetheless forms a cabinet with Anthony Maker as Prime Minister. The Maker I Cabinet passes center-left reforms and laws with the far-right in the opposition.
The PR comes back to its decision and finally decides to support a new center-left cabinet with Anthony Maker at its head, the Maker II Cabinet.
The EMILY's List, with the support of the SDP and the far-right, manages to pass a law banning contraceptives for religious reasons. It is unacceptable for Anthony Maker to see such a bill pass under its leadership and the CPL calls for an early election in 4691. The election is won by the SDP with the CPL further declining, although it stays the second party of the country.
Further decline in the opposition and pre-revolutionary situation (4692-4695) Edit
The Allen I Cabinet, which is seen as an humiliation by the communists, is composed of all the parties except the CPL. It only lasts for a year and is quickly replaced by the Conservative Coalition made of far-right parties after the 4693 election where the CPL continued its decline. These coalition were highly unstable because of dissolving parties and an early election was called for 4694.
The election saw a resurgence of the CPL and the overall communist movement with 40 % of the votes casted for communist parties.
Communist revolution (4695-4697) Edit
In 4697, the party organises with the RPL the Communist Revolution. The country is renamed People's Republic of Luthori, the Imperial Diet is renamed into People's Council and the number of seats is reduced to 90.
Many new communist laws regulating the economy are passed and the transition towards a communist economy is on the way.
Since the communist takeover was made without a full Diet, the communist parties decided to give way to the demands of the opposition and agreed to an early election, thinking that they would win.
In the opposition (4697-4712) Edit
After the early election , the opposition won 49 seats out of 90 while the communist government won 41 seats. It is a defeat for the communists and the Weston II Cabinet is formed. The new right-wing to far-right cabinet removed all the communist laws until 4702, excepted the changes regarding the names of the country or the assembly.
From 4702, a political crisis followed and 3 early elections took place between 4704 and 4707. In none of these elections, had the communists a majority. White Rose was the first party in all of these elections and formed cabinets with various right-wing or far-right parties which dissolved one after the other, which is the reason of the political crisis.
During the political crisis, the number of seats in the People's Council was changed from 90 to 350.
In 4707, the CPL became the third party. Stability returned as White Rose formed the T. Weston III Cabinet with the support of the SDP. It is a policy shift from the SDP which leaves its old communist partners in the opposition and starts following the liberal economic policies of White Rose. The new cabinet did nothing significant, except a huge reform removing most of the environmental regulations in Luthori.
Hamm I Cabinet (4712-4719) Edit
In the 4712 parliamentary election became the fourth party and won 18.66 % of the votes, a slight increased. However, their allies, the Anarchist Action won 22.24 % of the votes, which made the Communist Alliance a powerful political force. Following the dissolution of the Royalists, the Communist Alliance was left with a majority of seats and formed the Hamm I Cabinet under the presidency of Anthony Maker. The cabinet passed numerous laws regulating the economy, as well as socially progressive reforms. A reform of the People's Council was introduced and its number of seats was reduced to 150.
In 4717, the cabinet did not reach a majority of seats needed to continue governing. The CPL, however, has increased its vote share and received 19.29 % of the votes. The Hamm stayed a caretaker government until the far-right opposition could form one.
In the opposition (4719-4725) Edit
In 4719, the far-right T. Weston IV Cabinet starts to govern. Luthori started to become progressively a theocractic state and the Holy Luthorian Empire was restored. Theses changes were vigorously opposed by the CPL.
In 4722, the CPL came out as the first party in the country with 26.75 % of the votes, a record since 4624. Due to inactive parties, some laws passed by the far-right were repealed. However, a political crisis started and other early elections took place in 4723 and 4724. In 4724, the CPL saw a sudden drop in its vote share with only 14.43 % of the votes gathered.
Governmental participation (4725-4729) Edit
To solve the political crisis, the CPL participated in an emergency cabinet, the Ferina I Cabinet with the LDU. The cabinet lasted less than a year before the formation of the left-wing Blau I Cabinet and Bat-Elle I Cabinet lead by the IS.
Those cabinet added substantial changes to the lives of Luthorian with the abolition of military service and the death penalty, the legalisation of euthanasia and the expansion of the right to strike.
Second Republic Edit
The government, with the help of the Bloc of the Left, which had changed its policies from pro-empire to pro-republican,proclaims the Second Republic of Luthori in 4728, restores the president offices, renames Duchies into Regions and the Imperial Diet into the National Assembly.
In the opposition (4729-today) Edit
In 4729, the far-right pro-empire opposition wins the election and gains 78 seats out of 150 while the CPL keeps losing votes and loses 3 more seats. The T. Weston Cabinet V is very criticized by the CPL. A large part of the changes of the previous cabinet are undone: euthanasia is banned, abortion is banned except in cases of rape and medical emergencies, military service is restored. In addition, due to the dissolution of other left-wing pro-republican parties, the government manages to bring back the Holy Luthorian Empire and abolishes the Second Republic.
- The party is described as a far-left party by media and observers. The party doesn't agree with the far-left classification, saying it is part of the" real left", the "people's left".
- The party advocates state intervention and nationalisations as "the real way to have a functioning economy for the people".
- It is also socially progressive and is in favor of abortion, LGBT rights, positive discrimination and women's rights.
Political Program Edit
CPL leaders Edit
Leadership elections Edit
Election Results Edit
Parliamentary elections Edit
|January 4569||36.98||10.69 %||79||In government||1st|
|August 4569||38.40||1.41 %||11||In government||1st|
|4571||24.57||13.82 %||132||In government||1st|
|Movement for a Worker's Republic|
|4573||30.30||5.73 %||37||In government||1st|
|4578||22.68||7.62 %||49||In opposition||2nd|
|Communist Party of Luthori|
|4583||24.82||2.14 %||16||In opposition||1st|
|4585||37.83||13.01 %||79||In opposition||1st|
|4586||28.61||9.22 %||57||In opposition||1st|
|4589||29.49||0.88 %||8||In opposition||1st|
|4591||22.66||6.83 %||45||CPL-WR Coalition||1st|
|4593||19.61||3.06 %||19||In opposition||3rd|
|4596||25.38||5.77 %||39||In opposition||2nd|
|4599||21.51||3.87 %||25||The Democratic Coalition||1st|
|4601||22.18||0.66 %||3||The Democratic Coalition||1st|
|4603||21.96||0.21 %||1||The Democratic Coalition||1st|
|4604||24.08||2.12 %||14||In opposition||2nd|
|4608||36.32||12.24 %||76||Franklin I||1st|
|4611||22.58||13.74 %||84||In opposition||2nd|
|4613||29.52||6.94 %||42||In opposition||2nd|
|4617||35.02||5.50 %||35||Franklin II||1st|
|4619||27.91||7.11 %||44||Franklin II||1st|
|August 4619||28.55||0.64 %||1||In opposition||1st|
|4623||28.34||0.19 %||0||In opposition||1st|
|4624||28.58||0.24 %||0||In opposition||1st|
|4628||25.18||3.40 %||21||In opposition||1st|
|4632||21.38||3.80 %||22||Franklin III||1st|
|4635||19.22||2.16 %||13||Franklin III||2nd|
|October 4635||15.35||3.87 %||25||Franklin IV||2nd|
|4638||17.85||2.51 %||15||In opposition||2nd|
|4640||18.48||0.63 %||6||Hopkins I||2nd|
|4644||10.28||8.20 %||52||Hopkins I||7th|
|4645||12.02||1.74 %||11||In opposition||4th|
|4649||19.96||7.95 %||48||In opposition||1st|
|4651||6.72||13.24 %||81||In opposition||7th|
|4655||14.18||1.89 %||3||In opposition||2nd|
|4660||14.29||0.11 %||2||In opposition||2nd|
|4662||14.28||0.01 %||1||Hopkins II||2nd|
|4665||14.95||0.66 %||4||Hopkins II||2nd|
|4666||16.68||1.74 %||9||In opposition||2nd|
|4670||10.44||6.24 %||33||In opposition||6th|
|4674||14.54||4.10 %||29||In opposition||3rd|
|4677||16.58||2.05 %||3||In opposition||4th|
|4678||15.52||1.07 %||2||In opposition||3rd|
|November 4678||19.90||4.38 %||7||In opposition||3rd|
|4680||25.72||5.83 %||9||In opposition||1st|
|4687||19.13||6.96 %||9||In opposition||2nd|
|4691||16.67||2.46 %||4||In opposition||2nd|
|4693||14.62||2.04 %||4||In opposition||2nd|
|4694||20.24||5.62 %||8||Maker III||2nd|
|4697||24.48||4.24 %||9||In opposition||2nd|
|4702||18.78||5.70 %||2||In opposition||2nd|
|4704||15.29||3.50 %||34||In opposition||2nd|
|4706||17.42||2.14 %||20||In opposition||2nd|
|4707||18.39||0.96 %||3||In opposition||3rd|
|4712||18.66||0.27 %||4||Hamm I||4th|
|4717||19.29||0.63 %||38||In opposition||4th|
|4722||26.75||7.45 %||13||In opposition||1st|
|4723||25.18||1.56 %||3||In opposition||1st|
|4724||14.43||10.75 %||18||Ferina I, Blau I, Bat-Elle I||5th|
|4729||12.35||2.08 %||3||In opposition||6th|
Presidential-Imperatorial Elections Edit
|Year||Candidate||1st round||2nd round||Result|
|4578||George Pierson||12,007,417||18.99||9.75 %||27,758,595||49.93||Won|
|4583||No candidate, supporting the SDU||Won|
|4586||Pierre Morrison||19,042,686||29.26||13.30 %||31,854,849||51.98||Won|
|4589||Pierre Morrison||18,252,489||28.83||0.43 %||27,161,440||46.65||Lost|
|4591||Pierre Morrison||14,527,466||22.28||6.55 %||32,700,256||61.57||Won|
|4593||Pierre Morrison||13,153,128||20.63||1.65 %||30,982,601||53.75||Won|
|4599||Jack Lilliath||13,487,285||20.39||4.74 %||29,636,605||47.24||Lost|
|4601||Jack Lilliath||20,366,236||31.56||11.17 %||24,924,292||39.06||Lost|
|4603||Jack Lilliath||19,948,135||31.24||0.32 %||24,717,145||40.27||Lost|
|4604||Jack Lilliath||15,745,718||23.94||7.30 %||30,825,867||47.89||Lost|
|4608||Jack Lilliath||24,614,212||38.36||14.42 %||27,559,172||51.42||Won|
|4611||Jack Lilliath||19,256,566||29.27||9.09 %||26,713,444||45.48||Lost|
|4613||Jack Lilliath||21,822,797||33.51||4.24 %||27,130,682||47.41||Lost|
|4617||Jack Lilliath||24,950,411||38.85||5.34 %||27,099,430||50.17||Won|
|March 4619||Jack Lilliath||23,628,338||36.72||2.13 %||28,061,517||52.61||Won|
|August 4619||Jack Lilliath||24,072,001||37.51||0.79 %||25,887,940||48.49||Lost|
|4620||Banned - No candidates|
|4623||Diana Lilliath||18,679,081||28.52||0.30 %||25,964,501||43.34||Lost|
|4624||Diana Lilliath||19,810,122||30.00||1.48 %||27,509,491||45.01||Lost|
|4628||Diana Lilliath||20,705,690||32.35||2.35 %||26,954,837||47.29||Lost|
|4632||Diana Lilliath||19,367,820||29.79||2.56 %||18,522,036||34.79||Lost|
|4635||Harry Franklin||13,018,050||19.69||10.10 %||27,257,469||46.51||Lost|
|October 4635||Harry Franklin||9,709,378||14.75||4.94 %||28,291,877||48.70||Lost|
|4640||Caroline Baker||11,843,495||18.16||0.46 %||28,301,383||46.23||Lost|
|4644||Caroline Baker||7,127,803||11.01||7.15 %||Lost|
|4645||Caroline Baker||9,609,923||15.03||4.02 %||Lost|
|4651||Philip Hopkins||4,787,584||7.08||12.77 %||Lost|
|4653||Philip Hopkins||21,244,030||31.84||24.76 %||26,940,585||44.34||Lost|
|4655||Philip Hopkins||15,351,704||23.60||8.24 %||25,224,925||41.43||Lost|
|4660||Philip Hopkins||9,988,645||15.75||7.85 %||21,932,904||40.53||Lost|
|4662||Philip Hopkins||9,641,721||15.03||0.72 %||28,317,114||48.74||Lost|
|4665||Philip Hopkins||10,220,846||15.83||0.80 %||Lost|
|4666||Philip Hopkins||11,925,406||17.88||2.05 %||Lost|
|4670||Philip Hopkins||8,959,628||13.95||3.93 %||Lost|
|4674||Philip Hopkins||9,073,354||13.81||0.14 %||Lost|
|4677||Philip Hopkins||13,634,568||22.19||8.38 %||19,114,261||37.74||Lost|
|4678||Philip Hopkins||13,882,659||22.35||0.16 %||19,626,539||38.88||Lost|
|Nov.4678||Philip Hopkins||18,785,687||34.03||11.68 %||Lost|
|4680||Philip Hopkins||28,887,473||44.25||10.22 %||26,229,061||57.69 %||Won|
|4682||Philip Hopkins||27,199,550||41.55||2.50 %||29,746,634||50.67 %||Won|
|4687||Philip Hopkins||15,277,982||23.77||17.78 %||30,523,849||48.99 %||Lost|
|4691||Anthony Maker||30,765,322||49.31||New||33,693,175||56.50 %||Won|
|4693||Anthony Maker||18,249,542||27.71||21.60 %||30,472,217||50.25 %||Won|
|4694||Anthony Maker||13,678,464||25.36||7.08 %||29,461,445||51.33 %||Won|
|4697||Anthony Maker||16,158,184||20.63||4.73 %||31,244,623||49.37 %||Lost|
|4702||Anthony Maker||12,249,704||19.54||1.09 %||25,865,983||47.12 %||Lost|
|4704||Anthony Maker||10,279,072||15.97||3.77 %||Lost|
|4706||Anthony Maker||14,013,855||21.54||5.57 %||Lost|
|4707||Anthony Maker||14,104,790||23.18||1.64 %||Lost|
|4712||Anthony Maker||24,226,919||38.08||14.90 %||34,914,935||56.64||Won|
Regional elections Edit
|Date||Duchy diets seats||+/-||Duchy governments||Dukes/Duchess|