Mezzodiurno is one of the five administrative regions of Istalia. It is the southernmost region of the Sarrentina Peninsula and is the fourth largest region and the third most populated. The capital of Mezzodiurno is Romula, which is also Istalia's capital and the country's largest city.
The current name of the region, like the ones of the other istalian regions, was adopted officially only during the fourth Republic. Previously, Mezzodiurno was called Ingrisu, descenting directly from the Qolshamin name Ingris and which was resumed during the Quanzar Emirate. The current denomination of the region is a name which remind to its geographical position: in fact, the old Istalian term Mezzodì was used also to indicate the south and during the centuries since the middle of the second millennia the southernmost region of the Peninsula was identified also with this term which evolved into the current form.
The history of Mezzodiurno is obviously closely connected with the history of the civilizations which arise or conquered the Istalian peninsula across the millennia, but among the istalian regions, Mezzodiurno is the one which probably can boast the longest history due to the fact that the northern part of this region was the core of the Kingdom of Qolshamih, one of the most ancient civilizations of Majatra and of all the world.
See also: Geography of Istalia
Mezzodiurno is a region largely hilly and almost totally occupied by the large Southern Plateau (Istalian: Altopiano del Meridione) but the north-westernmost part is indeed occupied by the southern side of the Basin of Pheykran, a depression of more than 250 m under the sea level.
Along the south-western coast, instead, arise the Mezzodiurno's section of the Alkhayl Mountains which last offshots delimit to the south the Plateau. The Temperate Rainforests of the Alkhayl are among the most notable natural beauty of Mezzodiurno and Istalia and, protected into natural parks and reserves, they are situated along the southern slopes of the mountain range.
The northern part of the Plateau is carved from west to east by the valley of the river Sala and it is in this river vally that arise Romula.
As mentioned, Mezzodiurno is the fourth largest and most populed region of Istalia with a territory mostly rural. However, the internal GDP of the region is the second among the istalian regions, this due to the presence of large industrial zones concentrated in the outskirt of the larger cities, to the fact that the headoquarters of many istalian multinational corporations are based in Romula and to the fact that the Capital itself is one of the most important financial hub of Majatra.
Mezzodiurno is the most homogeneus regions of the mailand, with almost 94% of Istalians while the remaining 6% is divided between Majatrans and ethnicities of more recent immigration. The region was also important for the Hosianism in Istalia, due to the fact that Romula for centuries was the house of the local Patriarch. The homogeneity of the region is due also to the importance of the Church for this region, which in the past was very hostile to the ahmadi faithful and always considered itself the "most istalian" region on the mainland. Probably this affected also the social developement of the region which still today is notably one where the conservative movements find traditionally a broad support.
Mezzodiurno is divided into four provices, named after the provincial capital, and they are:
Governors (Since the Imperial era, 4571)Edit
Majority means the winning party got an absolute majority in the regional chamber; Coalition means the winning party needed to agree with one or more parties in order to have majority in the chamber; Minority means the winning party did not have an absolute majority in the regional chamber, regardless of whether it was in coalition with other parties or not.
|Governor||Took Office||Left Office||Gvt.||Legislatures||Party|
|1||September 4571||March 4584||Majority||I||Istalian Nationalist Party|
|2||March 4584||February 4586||Minority||I||Socialists & Democrats|
|February 4586||April 4598||Majority||II|
|3||April 4598||April 4602||Coalition||I||National Alliance for the Empire|
|'||April 4602||August 4610||Majority||V||Socialists & Democrats|
|August 4610||August 4614||Coalition||VII|
|4||August 4614||August 4618||Coalition||I||National Conservative Party|
|5||Lara Pittillo||August 4618||April 4621||Coalition||I||Natural Law League|
|6||April 4621||April 4625||Coalition||I||National Alliance for the Empire|
|7||Leo Paolini||April 4625||April 4631||Coalition||Paolini I||Istalian National Party|
|8||April 4631||April 4635||Coalition||I||National Conservative Party|
|9||April 4635||April 4639||Coalition||I||Natural Law League|
|10||April 4639||May 4642||Coalition||I||National Alliance for the Empire|
|11||May 4642||May 4646||Coalition||I||National Conservative Party|
|'||May 4646||Coalition||II||National Alliance for the Empire|